This is quite the burrito! It is sweet and spicy and totally satisfying. It is quickly becoming a favorite in my house. I got the recipe out of a book by a local nutritionist: The Delicious Detox, 30 Day Challenge; A step by step guide to safely and easily detoxify your body and achieve optimal health. By: Jessi McLennan NNCP and Wendy Howarth RHN. Here is a link to Jessi’s wed site http://www.originsnutritioninc.com/ I think you can order the book on the web site and it is quite cheep.
Backed Burrito with Black Beans and Sweet Potato
2 sweet potatoes
1 16 oz can black beans, drained and rinced
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup red pepper, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon oil
1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coriander
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
wraps of your choice
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Peel sweet potato and cup into quarters. Wrap it in tin foil and bake for 45 min or until tender all the way through. Turn oven down to 350F when you take the sweet potato out.
3. While the sweet potato is cooking saute onions in oil until transparent (about 3-4 min), then add garlic, red pepper, cumin, chili, and coriander. Cook for a 3 more minutes and then remove from heat.
4. In a food processor add roasted sweet potato, onions, and beans. Process until smooth. Stir in cilantro.
5. Fill tortillas and then roll into burritos. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
6. Optional: Before baking put sliced tomato and cheese on top. Serves with guacamole and salsa if desired.
If you are a freezer sort of person like I am then you can make a big batch of these ahead of time and freeze them in tin foil. They work great for nights when you are too tired to cook. Just fill your tortilla, fold into a burrito, rap in tin foil, fill a bag with these, and then freeze. When you are ready to eat them: Preheat your oven to 350F, place tin foil wrapped burritos in the oven for 45 min, and enjoy! If you want to put toppings on them then take then out of the tin foil and place them in a baking dish, back for 20 min before putting the toppings on, and then 20 minutes after. Finish with a quick broil if needed.